Thursday, May 26, 2011

Morning Musings

May 24th Morning Musings






Standing on deck this morning I let my senses take-in the great outdoors of Wrangell, Alaska; I hear a multitude of unidentified bird voices, a flock of seagulls, two eagles and a single duck quacking. I can see an empty eagle nest in a tree on the island nearby. A seal head glides almost silently through the water toward the boat till we make the briefest eye contact and he slides effortlessly below the surface. He does so without leaving as much as a ripple in the water to indicate his presence. At the time I wonder what other creatures might occupy the water below the surface and out of sight in the silty brown Bay. There is a ceiling of buoyant white clouds suspended above otherwise blue morning sky. An Alaska Air jet lands and a noisy Beaver float plane revs up to take to the sky. The snow covered mountain peaks glisten in the a.m. sun and a slight, fresh smelling breeze washes across my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment